Sunday, April 22, 2007

Tai Hwa Bak Chor Mee

C says:

Unlike the last time we were here, where I only had to wait in line for 15 minutes, today we were here much later, at 11 am, and I finally experienced the long wait first-hand - 45 long minutes. I stupidly forgot to bring a book to occupy myself whilst standing in line. Where was A, you might ask? Sitting at the table playing Sudoku on his handphone. While I would have liked for him to stand in line instead, his ineptitude with the Chinese language means that not only would he not be able to order what I wanted (more chilli, more vinegar), but he could quite possibly end up with meatball or dumpling soup instead.


The bak chor mee here is really something else. I won’t wait 45 minutes every weekend, but it’s worth it every now and again (every 3 to 6 months, perhaps). The noodles have a really good bite to them, and the liver slices are perfectly cooked. I saw them prepare it as I was waiting – the liver is sliced really thinly, and a big pile is simply dunked into the hot soup, and removed.

I asked for duo la jiao, duo chu (more chilli, more vinegar) for mine, and wow, it really packed a punch. There seemed to be a marked difference between the colour of A’s regular noodles, and my jazzed-up one. I must admit that it got a tad overkill at the end, but still very shiok. I don’t regret asking for more of the chilli and vinegar, because A’s looked a little insipid in comparison, and in my opinion, what makes a good bak chor mee is two-fold – the texture of the noodles, and the chilli paste. Tai Hwa comes up tops in both.

A says:

I offered to stand in line until we neared the front and then swap places but C didn’t accept so I can’t be blamed. C says: That’s only because I didn’t have my book with me, so there wasn’t any difference stoning in line or at the table.

Personally, I wouldn’t wait in line considering the Happy Chef Western Food (the next stall) is very good.

Just goes to show the difference in preference between C and myself. I ain’t no fan of that Chinese shit.

Tai Hwa Pork Noodle
Block 466 Crawford Lane
(Behind ICA Building)
#01-12
Tel: 6292-7477
Opening hours: 9.30 am to 9 pm (Closed 1st and 3rd Monday of the month)

No comments: