Monday, July 10, 2006

Tai Hwa Bak Chor Mee

C says:

Quick one from me. I had to collect my new IC on Saturday morning at ICA in Lavender, so we decided to take the opportunity to have the famous Tai Hwa bak chor mee, since it's just behind the ICA building. We figured it’ll be less crowded if we go early. Well, we were there at about 9.45, and they had only just opened. There was still a queue though, but the wait wasn’t that long – only about 15 minutes or so.

Fyi, this is the bak chor mee stall that used to be at Marina Square, where it attracted insanely long queues at lunchtime.

It was definitely worth the wait. To me, it was much better than the other famous bak chor mee at Hong Lim market. The noodle consistency was to my liking – firm and springy, not soft and mushy. There was lots of vinegar, a generous helping of ingredients, and the noodles didn’t clump together.

In my opinion, if I were going to queue up for bak chor mee, the Tai Hwa one is worth the wait; the Hong Kim market one isn’t.

A says:

I work around the area so I go to the coffee shop there quite a lot. If the queue is too long for your liking (and it usually is) just go for the Western stall next door. That’s what I do.

No comments: