Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Roti Prata House

C says:

We’re both clearly recovering from our bouts of illness, because we’re starting to crave unhealthy foods again. We headed over to The Roti Prata House at Thomon because we haven’t had prata in ages, and A felt like having their crispy kosong pratas.


We ordered a few crispy pratas, A had a plaster (a kosong with an egg ‘plastered’ on top), and we shared a mutton curry and a fried chicken. The mutton curry was a tad on the salty side, but the meat was very soft and tender. The fried chicken was delicious – the batter was really fragrant and the chicken was juicy and not overdone. As for the pratas, while the famous crispy one is very crisp and flaky, I find the dough a bit too sweet, such that it tastes almost like a dessert and tends to affect the taste of the savoury curry somewhat. Also, I think I prefer my pratas to have a bit of chewiness and bite to them.


Still, the place is newly renovated and very clean and bright. Staff are very friendly and professional, and it’s open 24 hours. I would come here over the Jalan Kayu one any day - the 45 minute wait there just isn’t worth it.

A says:

This was always my favourite prata place from back when there was only this one, the one at Fong Seng (NUS) and Jalan Kayu. Even though Jalan Kayu has better gravy and the Fong Seng one was closer by, this place still had the best prata (and you didn’t have to put up with irritating NUS hostelites).

The crispy prata isn’t as good anymore because it’s way more oily. The plaster is better than I remember though. My new thing is to have the teh-cino. It’s perfect if you like your teh very sweet and milky.

So after many years, I’d still rate this as my favourite. Too bad the parking still sucks.

The Roti Prata House
246M & 246K, Upper Thomson Road
Tel: 6459-5260
Open 24 hours

1 comment:

AJ @ Roti Prata said...

Yay! Thank you for sharing your food experience. I suggest that you try the best roti prata in Singapore and write a food review about it. Please keep us updated.