Saturday, May 03, 2008

Tuckshop – 6 months on

C says:

After raving about the steak sandwiches at Tuckshop and having them almost every other week at one stage, we somehow OD-ed on them and coupled with how fast time flies, it’s been more than 6 months since our last visit.

We went with D&D on Saturday night, and expecting a weekend drinking crowd, I took the precaution of booking a table. When we got there, we were the only table and over the course of our dinner, only one other table of 2 arrived. I wonder how they’re faring on weekdays, but the turnout for dinner on Saturday was certainly not sustainable in the long run.


A still ordered the sandwich, and the mouthful that I had was still pretty good, but A thinks that it’s deteriorated.


Kudos to them for always trying to update their menu - they’ve added more new items keep things interesting. There’s a two-mushroom sandwich with Portobello and enoki mushrooms, chicken wings and instant noodles dressed with sesame oil and sliced shitake mushrooms, which I what I ordered. Because I was feeling a bit ill, this was just what I needed – some comfort food. The noodles were simple but good; my only complaint was that the noodles were a tad overdone.

I wanted the chicken wings but they were sold out, so I consoled myself with another new dish, the crumb coated chicken. Unfortunately I wasn’t too impressed with this. It was too crumbed and overfried, so the chicken ended up being dry and overseasoned.

They also claim to serve ice cream from Ice Cream Chefs in the East, but tonight their machine/freezer wasn’t working so the ice cream was melted and couldn’t be served.

I think a combination of the waitstaff’s rather lackadaisical attitude and their inconsistent food quality has led to the slowdown in customers. Now that A isn’t working in the immediate vicinity any more, I don’t think this place is worth a specific visit.

A says:

Good. But not as good as before.

Tuckshop
21 Tanjong Pagar Road
#01-05
Tel: 6534-9287

No comments: