Saturday, May 24, 2008

Mimolette

C says:

Mimolette is located in a charming little bungalow within the Saddle Club off Eng Neo Avenue. It’s yet another dining location that caters to Singaporeans’ current love for eateries that are off the beaten track. We had heard lots of things about Mimolette since it opened, ranging from rave reviews to tentative opinions to downright scathing comments on the service (or lack thereof), so it was a good thing that we went there for brunch without any expectations whatsoever. Because we didn't have any expectations, we couldn't really be disappointed with both the food and the service, so we ended up actually having a decent experience. My one grouse is that they still don’t allow photographs of their food. I knew they had this policy prior to the launch of the restaurant, but it’s been launched and open for so long that you would’ve thought they’d relax their policy by now. No such luck, so I only managed to get one shot before I was stopped.

The seared tuna salad was highly recommended by L, so we shared that as a starter. I must say that while it was a pretty good salad, with a simple balsamic dressing and some raisins thrown in for added flavour and texture, I was a little let down by the tuna itself. While the quality was good and it was pink inside, somehow it was still not rare enough for my liking. I think I need my seared tuna to be completely raw, sashimi-style, with just the barest hint of a seared outline.


I ordered the mini wagyu burgers with fries. These come topped with 2 different toppings – caramelized onions, and sautéed mushrooms. When they say mini, they really mean it. These were absolutely tiny. Granted, they were tasty, and the patties were very flavourful and well seasoned, but they were just a little too pretentious for my liking, and almost impossible to eat without deconstructing it with a fork and knife; the patties simply fell apart. I think if I want a ‘posh’ burger and fries, I’ll still go back to House.

A had the steak and eggs, which came in a huge portion – 2 sunny side up eggs, baked beans and a massive steak. Again, this had lots of potential but somehow fell just slightly off the mark. No complaints with the eggs, and the baked beans had bacon mixed into the sauce which made them taste heavenly, but I’m still puzzled by the steak. It was listed on the menu as an Angus tenderloin, but when it arrived it was clearly anything but. Tenderloins are usually medallion shaped, simply because of the shape of the loin itself, but the steak that appeared was more like a sirloin. It didn’t have the full-bodied flavour of a sirloin though, which again puzzled me. It didn’t have much beefy flavour at all, and the texture was tender but also a bit spongy. Can’t quite describe it.

We had some space for dessert because the burgers were so tiny, so we had the nutella and banana crepes. Good thing we did, cos it ensured that we ended on a high. The crepes were yummy, but then again nutella and banana is a pretty foolproof combination.

I know it sounds strange that we aren’t dissing this place, given that the food obviously wasn’t anything to shout about. I can only attribute it to the fact that we had no expectations, the ambience was very pleasant, and service was surprisingly quite good. Will we be back? Probably, just to give them another chance.

A says:

The waitress we had was very good. Service was excellent but I think it was only because the place was only half full.

As for the food, it was mostly good with a few exceptions. The tomatoes and baked beans (with killer bacon bits) were exceptionally good. The fries were exceptionally bad.

I think I’d like to come back to try the full Farmer’s Breakfast.

Note to self: Cappuccino is very small but latte is a bit weak.

Mimolette
55 Fairways Drive
Tel: 6467-7748
Tues to Fri: 11 am – 3 pm; 6 pm – 11 pm
Sat to Sun: 10 am – 3 pm; 6 pm – 11 pm
Closed Monday

No comments: