Monday, July 09, 2007

Rong Guang BBQ Seafood

C says:

We ended up at Alexandra Village quite by accident on Monday night. The Hainanese pork chop place near Henderson Road was closed, so I had a flash of inspiration and suggested trying our luck here, since it was fairly close by. I had watched/read about a few noteworthy stalls here, so we crossed our fingers that they were open (being a Monday night)

Jackpot. The main stall we wanted to try, after seeing it on Yummy King – the seafood bbq one – was open. We ordered the stingray, sambal kangkong and their speciality – the seafood fried rice that comes with a generous dollop of sambal.




Everything was really good. The stingray was nice and charred, and the fried rice had a peppery kick to it. What really blew me away, though, was their sambal. I’m not sure if they use the same sambal for all their sambal dishes, but it was just the way I like it – not too sweet (I find the sambal that the Adam Road guys use for their seafood a little too sweet) and lots of hay bee (dried shrimp).


The nearby fruit stall was selling avocado juice, which is something I’d read about in another blog, so despite the dubious colour, I decided to try it. Turns out the stall we ordered from wasn’t the one I’d read about, but I’m sure avocado juice/shake can’t vary all that much from stall to stall. I took an apprehensive sip, and I swear it was nothing like I imagined it to be. I thought it would be pseudo-healthy tasting, but this was thick and creamy; basically like a Chendol milkshake. It tasted like coconut and gula melaka, and nothing like an avocado at all. A big mug is only $2, but I would seriously recommending sharing, because it’s quite filling, and you’ll want to save space for the food proper from Rong Guang.

A says:

I never thought I’d find a seafood bbq place I’d like as much as Adam Road’s. This place is as good but in a different way. While it doesn’t match Adam’s delicious smoky and oily flavour, its chilli has a real addictive quality.

Avocado shake was definitely interesting and not gross like I expected. The watermelon juice (huge mug for just $1.50) was very good too.

The only drawback to this place is the parking. If you don’t want to illegally park like everyone else, you’ll have to go past the hawker centre and park in the trailer area where the wild dogs roam.

Rong Guang BBQ Seafood
Block 120, #01-07
Bukit Merah Lane 1 (Alexandra Village)
Tel: 6278-7579
Closed on Tuesdays

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree about Adam Road's sambal. What's up with that?? It's super sweet and totally wrong.