Monday, March 30, 2009

Uncle Sam’s Claypots

C says:

I read in the papers recently that Uncle Sam’s, stalwart of the Robinson Road lunchtime scene for years, has finally opened a second branch at CityVibe, the new mini-mall that sits on the site of the previous Clementi cinema and McDonald’s. I was psyched to have this place as a dinner option, because the branch in Robinson Road only opens for lunch.


Unfortunately, for some reason this didn't have the oomph that the Robinson Road branch does. It somehow lacked the smoky flavour of the original. I would have attributed it to the fact that the claypot was just a serving vessel, but for the fact that there WAS a layer of burnt rice stuck to the bottom. So if the rice had in fact been cooked in the claypot, then what’s the difference? I have no idea; I just know that it didn't have that greasy shiok-ness that I remember from the original.


A tried the claypot Ipoh hor fun, which wasn’t bad but certainly wasn’t memorable. I guess I won’t be coming back here any time soon. I’ll stick to having the Robinson Road one at lunchtime.

A says:

I don’t like claypot. C made me go.

In the unlikely event that we return, I will have multiple desserts of bobo chacha, tau suan and pulut hitam.

Uncle Sam’s Claypots
#02-11/12 CityVibe
3151 Commonwealth Avenue West
Tel: 6778-3088
Open daily: 11 am to 10 pm

No comments: