Sunday, June 29, 2008

Relish by Wild Rocket – 6 months on

C says:

Props to A’s friend R, who suggested Relish for dinner tonight. We hadn’t been back since our disappointing first and only visit, so if not for tonight’s dinner we wouldn't have found out that Relish has in fact improved, and perhaps on our first visit we were victims of teething problems after all.

They’ve added a few new burgers to their menu, including a brioche burger with minced pork patties, and a beef burger with blue cheese, pear and rocket, which is what I ordered. A decided to be boring and went with the old faithful Wild Rocket burger.


After the American Sliders at House, I seem to have developed a liking for blue cheese on my burgers. The one here came with a blue cheese dressing, rocket leaves, slices of tinned pears, and unfortunately some kind of peanut sauce that, to me, really didn't go with the rest of the ingredients. Then again, I’m not a fan of peanut sauce generally – I think it makes everything taste like satay... If not for the peanut sauce I wouldn't mind ordering this again, because the combination of the rest of the ingredients was actually quite good.


A’s Wild Rocket burger was nothing new but still satisfying. Again though I seem to have a problem with the sundried tomato chutney or whatever they put on it – I would much prefer it without too many fancy sauces. Maybe next time I’ll go for the bacon cheeseburger again, or perhaps I’ll finally give the Ram-lee burger a try. R had it and it looked really good.

I’m pleased to say that unlike our first time, the burger patties tonight were indeed cooked medium rare and, being adequately seasoned and not too tightly packed, were pretty tasty and finally shed some light on how Relish has managed to garner such rave reviews when initial experiences and feedback were lacklustre at best. The patties weren’t the best or the juiciest I’ve ever had, but overall this experience has definitely whet my appetite for more.

Service has also improved. The food took a while because it was almost full house on a Sunday night, but at least the waitstaff knew what they were doing, and were more than able to deal with the rush.

A says:

I think our friend D might disagree on the service considering the other six of us all got our orders very quickly, but his took forever.

Anyway, this place has redeemed itself so we can now go regularly. It’s still rather expensive for what you get though, so I don’t think it’ll be very often.

Note to self: Chocolate Cointreau milkshake’s thick and not too great. Skip it.

Relish
501 Bukit Timah Road
#02-01 Cluny Court
Tel: 6763-1547
Mon - Fri: Noon to 3 pm, 6 pm to 11 pm
Sat and Sun: Noon to 11 pm

No comments: