Saturday, March 12, 2011

Woori Nara

C says:

After hearing and reading good things about Woori Nara’s Volcano Korean fried chicken, we headed to Lorong Kilat to try it for ourselves. We ordered half a Volcano chicken (supposedly their super spicy variety), and a regular yum yum chicken with rice set.


As with all Korean restaurants, this came with a few sides. I guess we’ve been spoiled by the Korean bbq place near our house, cos the sides here were nowhere near as varied nor as tasty as the ones there. Clearly then, the meal wasn’t off to the best of starts.


A’s yum yum chicken set arrived first, and if this was supposed to be mildly spicy, I didn’t have high hopes for the volcano one. The chicken was more sweet than anything else, and even the rice wasn’t hot or fluffy.


The Volcano fried chicken really didn’t live up to my expectations. Sure, there was some heat but only a strange lingering pepperiness rather than any proper heat. The sauce was again just predominantly sweet, and my biggest grouse was that the chicken was just way too battered, so that all I tasted was batter drenched in a sweet sauce, and could barely taste the chicken.

Maybe that’s the style of Korean fried chicken, but if that’s the case I think I’ll pass, and get my Korean fix in the form of grilled meats or a simple kimchi soup nearby.

A says:

I like the sweet chilli sauce that doesn’t really taste killer hot, but leaves a strange stinging in your mouth and tummy when done.

But is it worth a special trip out to try? Er... not really.

Woori Nara
19 Lorong Kilat
#01-02
Tel: 6464-9282

2 comments:

Keila said...

The best dish that i can imagine ever!..Can't wait to try this over the weekend. My kids will surely love this

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

We would like to invite you to a Nespresso event in April. Would you be able to provide me with a contact email?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Fidah - on behalf of Nespresso