Friday, April 09, 2010

Rocks Urban Grill + Bar

C says:

Rocks is part of the Emmanuel Stroobant Group, so expect to find similar pizzas to those that you can find at Picotin, as well as some very good grilled items. I had lunch here once and was so enamoured with some of the offerings that eventually I dragged A here for dinner on Friday night after work.


At first glance, the prices seem quite standard for smart casual bistros, but when you see the portions, you realise that prices are on the high side. The beef maki starter is excellent – rocket and parmesan rolled within a thin slice of beef, sliced to resemble maki sushi, and served sizzling on a hot rock with a ponzu sauce on the side. But at $24 for 3 tiny pieces, this really doesn’t come cheap.


The scallop carpaccio came in a slightly bigger portion – thinly sliced scallops served with olives, frisee salad and truffle mousse. This was just as good as the beef maki. The scallops were fresh and very sweet, and I like how the truffle enhanced but didn’t overwhelm the scallops.


One of the main reasons I wanted to return here was the twice cooked Kurobuta pork cutlet. Simply grilled and served with just a squeeze of lemon to bring out the natural juices of the pork, this is a really good pork chop. I fancy it was better (and bigger) when I first came here for lunch though, but taste-wise it was just as good. The pork was sweet, juicy and tender, and marinated with a blend of herbs that I just can’t put my finger on.

While the proteins were quite modestly portioned, they had no such qualms with the carbs. The side order of truffle mash that we ordered was absolutely huge, and a pretty good bargain at $8. This was comfort food at its best, and didn’t taste as sinful as I expected. There was an oddly disconcerting chunk of potato amidst the smooth silkiness of the mash, and I still don’t know if it was intentional, to add some texture, or did they simply miss a chunk in the mashing?


We shared the cheese board for dessert, since it seemed to have a good selection of cheeses that we liked – parmesan, vieux comte, camembert and gorgonzola. They took quite a long time to bring me a small dish of honey to accompany the gorgonzola; first they brought out a diluted honey, thinking that we wanted it for the latte that A ordered. After I told them I wanted it neat, it took an inordinately long time for them to bring it, but at least it finally arrived.

Food here is definitely good, though the starters certainly don’t come cheap. I think a better bet would be to have a grilled main course and a pizza instead. Given that the place is right opposite my office, it’s a good bet if we’re feeling lazy and unadventurous on a Friday night. Views are also quite lovely, especially once the Marina Bay IR is completed.

A says:

Very good. Worth coming back.

Rocks Urban Grill + Bar
2 Marina Boulevard
#02 – 01/02, The Sail
Tel: 6438-4404
Mon to Sat: 11.30 am – 2 pm; 6.30 pm – 12 mn

No comments: