Saturday, March 22, 2008

Monster Mash

C says:

I read about this place a good month or so ago, and suggested to A that we try it but he was always non-committal about it. Then after a review appeared in Urban about a week ago, A had the gall to say “ooh, now I won’t mind trying it”. !!! So he doesn’t trust me, but he trusts that Urban chick. Lovely. Hmph.

Anyway the opening hours that were published in Urban are a little off the mark, so as a result we arrived here slightly early (they open at noon, not 11.30). This is an interesting little British café with outlets in Edinburgh and now Singapore. Kinda strange that they didn’t open something closer to home, but I guess they felt there was a market here for a typical British ‘retro’ café. As the name suggests, their main attractions are their different varieties of bangers and mash. They have 3 different types of sausages and mash on the menu, and every day they have another 3 or 4 sausages of the day, and a mash of the day.


We decided to be at different ends of the scale. A went totally traditional, and had the Monster Sausage (a smooth, slight herby sausage), Monster Mash (just milk and butter) and Monster Gravy (a classic brown gravy). As you can see, the gravy comes in a separate jug for you to pour over your food according to your liking.


I had one of the daily sausages – Pork, Cheese and Chive and I also had the mash of the day, Rosemary and Red Onion, with Onion Gravy made with caramelized onions, red wine and beef stock. I preferred my mash because I found A’s to be a little too plain and floury tasting. For the sausage, mine had more flavour initially, but I think I’m a purist and don’t really like my sausages too funky, so the old fashioned Monster sausage is more my thing.

I’m not sure if you can tell from the photos but the mash portions are HUGE. Props to anyone who can polish off the whole portion – even carb monster A couldn’t. Next time, we’re going for the 2 sausage platter to share; hopefully the mash portion is the same, which will be just nice for two.

They also have other traditional British dishes here – from a classic fry-up, to fish and chips with mushy peas and steak pies. They even sell vegetarian haggis but alas, not the regular sort. Their desserts also look comfortingly stodgy – crumble with custard, bread and butter pudding and sticky toffee pudding, but the mash did us in and we couldn’t eat another bite.

Located in Holland Village next to NYDC, where the old George’s Steak House used to be, this place may have fairly decent foot traffic and I guess the Urban article helped too, cos it wasn’t deserted when we went. Still, it remains to be seen whether they can sustain the dining concept in the long run. Perhaps we’ll come and try the fry-up next, and see how it compares to the one at Penny Black.

A says:

They’ve got a Cadbury Flake Milkshake which rocks. C says it’s a variation of a popular British dessert. I’d definitely come back here just for that.

Monster Mash
26A Lorong Mambong
Holland Village
Tel: 6463-4610
Opening hours
Mon & Tues: 6 pm to 10 pm
Wed to Fri: 12 noon to 2.30 pm; 6 to 10 pm
Sat & Sun: 12 noon to 10 pm

No comments: