Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Hog’s Breath Café, Holland Village

C says:

We came here on Saturday night on a whim. After watching a (very bad) movie at the Red Dot Design Museum, it was about 8.30 pm so we had to go to a place that opened till pretty late. I’d just seen an ad in IS magazine about Hog’s Breath Café and remembered that it’s open till midnight, so we headed to the Holland V branch since it’s on our way home (there’s another branch at Chijmes).

We had the buffalo wings for starters, and for mains, A had the bbq baby back ribs which was one of the day’s specials, and I had the prime rib. Each prime rib cut is 300g, and you can have a number of sauces – traditional, mushroom or pepper – on the side. I ordered it medium rare and it came out perfect. I was extremely impressed – the steak was tender and sweet, and not one part of it was sinewy or chewy. This was one of the best prime ribs I’ve had in a long time.

A’s baby back ribs, though not as good as my prime rib, was also excellent. I found the sauce a little overpowering as it smothered the meat, but the ribs were slow roasted such that they literally just fell off the bones.

The starter fared less well, though. The buffalo wings should have been called bbq sauce wings, because that’s exactly what they were. I guess it’s a mistake to order buffalo wings anywhere other than Sunset Grill.

Washed down with a latte (A) and a Corona (me), this was an unexpectedly satisfying dinner. Business was fairly brisk as well; I guess it helps that they’re open till midnight, because there were people streaming in even after 9.

A says:

I think the staff are trained to be super-friendly but thankfully not as bad as the T.G.I.Friday “I’m your new best friend” kind. At least they know their stuff. Atmosphere is very relaxed and enjoyable. Best of all, the mains (and the sides they came with) exceeded expectations – both in portion size and in taste. Maybe skip the mediocre buffalo wings and try a different starter or a dessert next time. Latte was good though.

No comments: