Sunday, November 11, 2007

Old Airport Road Food Centre

C says:

The Old Airport Road Food Centre finally re-opened around July this year, after months of much-needed renovations. We made our way on Sunday to check it out, and I must say I’m quite impressed with the facelift. The stalls are largely in the same position, with a few additions and departures, but it’s much cleaner, airier and brighter.

It’s no less packed though. I had my Nam Sing Hokkien Mee again, but somehow it didn’t seem as shiok as the last time I had it at the temporary site.


A had his trusty Western BBQ, known for its trademark garlicky sauce. I still have no idea what exactly goes into this, besides loads of garlic, the tomato sauce from canned baked beans, and Worcestershire sauce. Make sure you check out the photos at the stall, because not all of the dishes come with the sauce.


We also tried the fresh chee cheong fun, from a stall with a lady making your chee cheong fun fresh upon order. You can chose between char siew, prawn, chicken or scallop. We tried the char siew one – it was very good; the roll was super thin and smooth, and not floury at all.

Disappointingly, the Chinese satay stall that we wanted to try (Chuan Kee) wasn’t open yet. I think it’s solely an evening stall. We may venture here one evening to try it, but it’s a daunting prospect because I would imagine it’ll be even more chaotic than at lunchtime.

A says:

Definitely one of the best hawker centres in Singapore. Plenty of stuff for me to eat, and parking is not that bad with the multistory car park.

Western BBQ
#01-53

Chee Cheong Fun stall
#01-155

1 comment:

dilutedmagnetics said...

That's a ginormous chicken chop!