Friday, July 05, 2013

More treats from Lek Lim

C says:

We went back to Lek Lim Nonya Kueh recently, to satisfy a craving for some of the items that really made an impact on us the last time, namely the chicken curry puffs, glutinous rice and steamed yam cake. The glutinous rice and yam cake were as good as I recall. While I still like the thin crisp skin and the flavour of the chicken curry puffs,  they've had their chilli level toned down, following feedback that they were too spicy. I find that slightly disappointing, since the spiciness really set them apart from other curry puffs, but I appreciate that my spice tolerance is higher than the average Joe's.
 
Together with a host of other local food vendors, Lek Lim will be at the SFF Village (booth number 2) for the Singapore Food Festival, in a bid to introduce their kuehs to a new generation of fans. They will be selling some of their signature kuehs, as well as their pineapple tarts and almond cookies, that are usually only sold over the Chinese New Year period.
 

Both were delicious. The pineapple tart pastry was buttery without being too crumbly, and the pineapple filling was nicely balanced – not too sweet nor too tart. The almond cookies looked as though they would be filled with almond paste or similar, but they were actually just buttery cookies with chopped almond bits baked into them. These were really fragrant and light, with a tender crumb. I love that both are bite-sized – they’re really addictive and great for snacking, but disastrous for my diet.
 
I’m definitely ordering these come Chinese New Year, but in the meantime you can try them at the SFF Village, which will be held from 12 to 21 July. I’m not very sure about the details, so check out http://singaporefavouritefood.com/2013/sffvillage.html for more info.

A says:

Very delicious. I like.


No comments: