Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Middle Road Pork Rib Prawn Noodle

C says:

Another Yummy King recommendation near Mustafa, this stall RAWKS. Ever since a slightly disappointing experience at the Wah Kee Prawn Noodle at Cambridge Road (Pek Kio), I’ve been looking for a good stall selling prawn noodles with pig’s liver.

This stall doesn’t quite nail it 100%, but it certainly comes close. Here, the pork comes first, and the prawn is secondary, which is just the way I like it. The soup is apparently brewed with a mixture of pork ribs and prawns, and it tastes like a glorious mixture of prawn noodle soup and bak kut teh.

In addition to pork ribs, this comes with all sorts of pig parts too. You can either request for a mixture, or tell the guy what you want (or don’t want). I went for the works, but without kidney (the one organ I don’t eat).


This was heavenly. There were a few pieces each of small intestine, liver, tongue, pork ribs and tender sliced meat, and a perfunctory prawn or two. Add some chilli padi (you have to ask the guy for it), and you get bliss in a bowl. The liver was perfectly cooked, the meat just fell off the pork ribs, and all the innards were well cleaned because there was no nasty smell at all.

The owners are surprisingly polite – I expected the usual gruff uncle but he was really nice. It’s quite nondescript though, so here are rough directions – it’s in Kim Leng Eating House, which is at the junction of Sam Leong Road and Verdun Road. I definitely need to come back here for more. They’re only open from 8 am to 2 pm though, so unless we want to brave the Little India crowds on a weekend, I guess this is an ‘on leave’ only place.

A says:

I hate prawn noodles (almost as much as I hate Lor Mee) but this one wasn’t horrible. I still wouldn’t order it, but that’s just mee. Harhar

Middle Road Pork Rib Prawn Noodle
Kim Leng Eating House
Sam Leong Road
Opening hours: 8 am to 2 pm; closed Mondays

No comments: