Monday, July 31, 2006

Wild Rocket

C says:

We read about Wild Rocket’s burger in Chubby Hubby’s blog. It’s only available (for now) on the restaurant’s Sunday brunch menu, so we headed over on Sunday afternoon to check it out.

This is a pseudo-posh burger – no wagyu beef or anything, but definitely not an every day Carl’s Jr or Renaldo’s. The Wild Rocket burger was served with a peppery dressing (apparently inspired by Ramlee burgers), some rocket leaves and a spicy sun-dried tomato salsa. It was accompanied by some delicious sautéed diced potatoes, and some mixed greens with a dressing that tasted like chicken rice ginger/garlic sauce. It was an interesting alternative to salad dressing and it worked.

To me, everything in the burger was spot-on except for the salsa. The patty was thick and juicy, with the juices dribbling out with every bite. The peppery dressing and rocket leaves complemented each other well, but I had a slight problem with the salsa. Somehow it complicated the taste of the burger for me. I would have much preferred it without the salsa, and with a slice of cheese instead.

However, if you’re in the mood for a higher-end burger, this is pretty good; certainly a lot better than the sirloin burger we had at Uberburger. In fact, seems as though almost every burger we’ve had is better than the Uberburger one. Coincidence? I think not. Moral of the story? Forget Uberburger, it’s way overrated. Unless the $101 wagyu/foie gras burger is the only burger they do well, in which case we’ll never know. Sorry, I’m rambling…

We rounded off the meal with a pandan panna cotta to share. The plate was drizzed with gula melaka, and I was pleasantly surprised with this. The panna cotta was rich and creamy, and the pandan flavour fragrant without being cloying. Good thing we shared though, I think it’s a little too gelak to have on my own.

A says:

I always have high hopes when I come here because the reviews make the food sound unbelievable. Sad to say, while everything is excellent, it just doesn’t quite live up to expectations.

The burger had a very good, thick, beefy patty, but everything else about it left my simple palate confused. The side of potatoes grilled in duck fat was a pleasant surprise though. As was the dessert.

I’m sure I’ll go back because the burger still is really very good. Just don’t believe the hype.

No comments: