Friday, December 04, 2009

Cafeteria Il Lido

C says:

I guess this is Il Lido’s attempt at tapping the mass market but besides the name, there’s not much of a connection between this place and the fine dining restaurant. The decor at the simple eatery located within the Fountain Terrace at Suntec City is quite bare and no-frills, and the food is no different. It was pretty empty on a Friday night, which didn't really reassure us when we walked in.

Do take note that prices have increased since the article/review in the Sunday Times a few months ago. In the article, it listed a pasta at $5.90, and mains like baked snapper at $9.90. However, over the course of a few months prices have increased quite significantly – I don't think any pasta was under $10, and the baked sea bream that I ordered was close to $15. At those prices, I expect fairly decent quality, since it’s on par or even more expensive than Saizeriya and the Market @ Central.


If the prices had been as per the Sunday Times article, I don’t think I would have any reason to be dissatisfied. But with the price hikes, my expectations are also raised and I don’t think the place fully delivered on that front. The four cheese pizza was pretty good, but then again, copious amounts of mascarpone cheese are usually enough to make me happy.


The pizza was a decent size, but the baked sea bream I ordered was considerably less generous. Just 2 thin fillets, a few squid rings and some very undernourished clams. The flavour was alright – the olives enhanced the tomato sauce, but I don't think this was worth the price.


We figured we could fit in a pasta to share, so we tried the Bolognese, since it was listed as a specialty. This was quite bland and uninspired, and not really worth the $10+ price tag. I know I sound fussy, but that's because there are other places that serve better pasta at lower prices.

Still, there was nothing tragically wrong with the food. If you’re wandering around the Fountain Terrace and feel like a rather generic pizza/pasta meal, this is certainly a viable option.

A says:

Average. I’d go for the pizza rather than the pasta.

Cafeteria Il Lido
3 Temasek Boulevard
#B1-012 Suntec City Mall
Tel: 6883-2341
Open daily: 11.30 am – 10 pm

No comments: