Saturday, May 19, 2007

Wah Kee Prawn Noodles

C says:

Yet another case of the memory of a dish being better than reality, just like the Rendezvous Nasi Padang. This prawn noodle place used to be at the Farrer Park hawker centre at Race Course Road, but moved when the place was redeveloped. It relocated at Cambridge Road (Pek Kio) Food Centre, but somehow I hardly came back after they moved.

Back when it was at Farrer Road, I used to order prawn noodles with pig’s liver, and I remember it being extraordinary. The soup was rich and potent – orange and almost opaque with prawny goodness. The liver was perfectly cooked, that is to say, it was verging on underdone.

Since they moved, I almost forgot about this place until I read about it again on ieatishootipost. I persuaded A to have brunch there on Saturday morning, but I was in for a slightly disappointing experience. Firstly, the auntie at the stall was the typical old-school brusque type, and her sullen demeanour was beginning to annoy me. Secondly, when I asked for pig’s liver, she glared at me and told me they don’t sell pork. A panicked call to my brother confirmed this – they stopped selling pork ribs and liver after the Nipah virus.


I ended up ordering a small $3 bowl because I don’t like big prawns. I asked for mifen-mian but ended up just with mifen. The soup looked a little thin, and although it did have some good prawny flavour, it was nowhere near as full-bodied and flavourful as before. At least it did have some yummy bits of lard sprinkled on top.

Maybe this was an off day, or maybe I should order a bowl with larger prawns because maybe the larger prawns contribute to the richness of the broth. That is, if I can convince A to come here again. Prawn noodle soup seems to be very high on his ‘Don’t Touch With a 10-Foot Pole’ list.

A says:

Not a lot of choices so I don’t think I’d go back. Although there is a very good soya bean stall with the best “black & white” (soya bean with chin chow) I’ve had in a long time.

Wah Kee Prawn Noodles
Blk 41A Cambridge Road Hawker Centre (Pek Kio)#01-15
7.30am to 2pm. Closed on Mondays

No comments: