Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Jimmy Monkey


C says:

Jimmy Monkey has a slightly expanded menu now. We stopped by for brunch on New Year’s Day, and I finally managed to try their Vegemite and Cheese Turkish Toast dippers with soft boiled egg (they were out when we popped by one random day). A had the Hemingway, which is their version of smoked salmon eggs benedict.


I absolutely loved the vegemite and cheese soldiers; then again, I’m quite partial to Marmite and Vegemite anyway (I lean slightly towards Marmite, personally). I-S Magazine has voted this dish one of 2011’s 50 things to eat in Singapore before you die, and with good reason. These are really addictive – the toast is light and fluffy and toasted just right, and there’s just the right Vegemite to cheese ratio. A single soft boiled egg doesn’t go very far in proportion to the amount of toast, but they’re good enough on their own and don’t really need the egg.


The eggs Hemingway was good, but perhaps a little on the tart side – not sure if it was from the hollandaise or the poached eggs.

Coffee was great as always, but I’m making a beeline for the Vegemite soldiers whenever I’m here.

A says:

Decent food. Great service. Nice.

Jimmy Monkey Cafe & Bar
9 one-north gateway
#01-51 one-north residences
Tel: 6777-8470
Sun to Thurs: 8.30 am to 8.30 pm
Fri & Sat: 8.30 am to late
Closed Mondays 

1 comment:

Marco said...

Their website is also nice to see. I fall in love with that sign on the right hand side: 'hi my name is jimmy. need $$ for coffee or trip home. thx.' :)