Sunday, October 09, 2011

The Canteen

C says:

I think Canteen is probably one of the most underrated joints in Orchard Road. A was initially not a huge fan since he has issues with what he deems high end hawker fare. But once he discovered the waffles here, he's now a fervent convert.


My new favourite dish here is the soupy mee tai mak, which I order when I want to feel a bit more virtuous and don't want to indulge in the XO sauce mee tai mak. It's really simple - a clear broth with minced pork, meat balls and a poached egg, but somehow it just hits the spot.


A's default order is the waffles with whipped cream and maple syrup. On the menu it says it comes with strawberries but we always change it to sliced bananas. This is definitely on A’s list of top 5 waffles in Singapore.

Prices are very reasonable, and I love that because it's so underrated, it's a calm little respite from the chaos of Orchard Road.

A says:

I like the simple, no frills attitude of this place. And the service is usually very good, although this time, everything went haywire. Nevertheless, still one of my favourite waffles in town.

The Canteen
1 Scotts Road
#01-01B Shaw Centre
Tel: 6738-2276
Sun to Thurs: 9 am to 10pm
Fri & Sat: 9 am to 11 pm
www.lesamis.com.sg

No comments: