Saturday, January 16, 2010

Grandma’s Restaurant (United Square)

C says:

We’ve been meaning to try Grandma’s at Paragon for a while now, and it was quite by accident that we discovered they have a branch at United Square. Ironically, we went to United Square this evening cos I felt like some ice cream from Udders, but when we walked by after dinner, the queue was at least 15 deep! So no ice cream for me, but at least we discovered a new place for some good curry and nasi lemak.

Grandma’s serves quite a wide variety of food, including some pastas, fish and chips and steak, but their speciality seems to be local food like nasi lemak, rendang and chicken curry. A had the nasi lemak, and I had a rather strange combination of fried chicken wings, stir fried vegetables with sambal, and steamed rice.


A’s nasi lemak came with chicken curry, and that absolutely made the dish. The gravy was rich and flavourful, with a hint of kaffir lime leaves but not overpoweringly so, and the chicken was really tender. In fact, I would even go so far as to say that next time I’ll order the chicken curry instead of the fried chicken wings, which for a chicken wing fanatic like me is saying a lot. The wings were ok but not outstanding. They came with a nice crust but the taste was a bit bland unless you dipped it in the accompanying sauce. The wings at Ikea are way better…


I quite liked my vegetables fried with sambal, which had long beans, brinjal, lady’s finger and petai, a bean used in Peranakan cooking that has a very distinctive and acquired taste. My only grouse was that the aircon in the place is a bit too drafty, and given how slow I eat, my food got cold halfway through my meal.

I’ll definitely come back, to have more chicken curry and to try more of their dishes. It’s good to come in a bigger group, because currently Citibank has a promotion where if you spend above $50, you get a $25 return voucher.

A says:

The service is excellent. Food came out quite fast. And you get to eat it in air-conditioned comfort.

The food, especially the curry was very good. Not cheap (around $9 for Nasi Lemak) but definitely worth it.

Grandma’s Restaurant
#B1-17 United Square
101 Thomson Road
Tel: 6356-5434
Weekdays: 11 am to 3 pm; 6 pm to 10.30 pm
Weekends and PH: 11 am to 10.30 pm

No comments: